Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Holiday Festivities

Since I am so hugely pregnant, we decided (and my doctor decided for us) that traveling would not be a good idea so close to my due date. I was definitely disappointed at first because I have never missed a Christmas with my family. My sister who I haven't seen in seven years, came home this year to celebrate the holiday too and I was sad I was going to miss her visit. We knew pretty early on that we probably wouldn't be able to go home so I had time to get used to the idea. We made our apartment as festive as possible filling it with a tree, stockings, lights, garland, and the constant smell of baked goods. We even constructed our own fireplace out of cardboard and paint so we would have a place to hang our stockings. When Brian's parents were first married, they did the same thing and we thought it would be fun to try it out. It was a total success and Brian and I have become quite attached to our little fireplace.
We worked A TON for the two weeks leading up to Christmas. Brian got me a job making Kneaders gift baskets for the holidays and he and I both were putting in about 10-12 hours a day there. It was fun but draining and left little time for planning holiday festivities and starting traditions. We worked Christmas Eve and had no big plans for it. Luckily, Brian has such a cute, fun family and his Aunt and Uncle invited us over for dinner and a full evening of holiday fun. We got to see his cousins and play with their new little baby boy, Beckett. That was especially fun for Brian and I since parenthood is knocking on our door. We had a delicious ham dinner (Thanks Debbie!!) and played our own version of "Minute To Win It."
Brian practicing his Daddy skills
"Minute To Win It" Challenge...failed!
He dominated this game.

We palyed a really fun game that has become a new tradition for his Aunt and Uncle. It's called sledding and has nothing to do with being out in the cold snow. Each of us got a big Hershey bar and a bag of candy. Using hot glue and only the bag of candy provided, we decorated our "sleds." Then we put a big tarp on the stair and raced the sleds down the tarp/hill. We had brackets and played double elimination. There were even first, second, and third place prizes. I didn't place but Brian got third place and we won a gas card. Whoo Hoo!! Brian's Grandparents were the winners of the night anmd took first place!
Love them!
Brian and I hope we can start this fun tradition in our own little family in a few years. Thanks to Bruce, Debbie, Brittany and Montana(and Beckett), Mason, Grandma and Grandpa Mac, and Grandma Wixom for making our Christmas Eve so memorable and fun. We are so blessed to have a wonderful family close by!



2 comments:

  1. you should keep that fireplace permanently, very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, I miss you! I miss you too, Adri. I'm so glad I get to see you in April.

    ReplyDelete